The Assembly of EUMANS - paneuropean movement of popular and nonviolent initiative - on 15th December 2022 recognizes the efforts done by the activists and supporters of the movement in:
- Following and following up to the Conference on the Future of Europe and contributing to the advancement of European democracy in particular with regards to Citizens Assemblies
- Bringing the topic of End of Life Decisions and Palliative care (recommendation number 24 of the Conference on the Future of Europe) and historical struggle of EUMANS' co-president Marco Cappato to the European level, self-organising the first Transnational European Assembly in Brussels on the 6th of December as part of the TEA Project, co-funded by the European Union. The Declaration designed by the Transnational Assembly is an essential stepping stone for the advancement of the fight for the recognition of the right-to-die as a fundamental right
- Collaborating with individuals and organisations in the European Union to write the draft texts for European Citizens Initiatives on Cannabis, Carbon Pricing and to have set the tone for collaboration on European Citizens Initiatives on Unconditional Basic Income and Services, European Citizenship Education, and other issues such as gender-rights, migrants' rights and workers' rights.
- Having scaled up the initiatives for the advancement of digital democracy in the European Union with the organisation of the event "Digital Democracy is a Human Right" on the basis of what set up during the summer with the Lista Referendum and Democrazia project
- Creating the first EUMANS Group (Referendum and Democracy) and the preparation of the EUMANS Group on Sustainability around the proposal for a Global Carbon Pricing.
The Assembly agrees to hold the Second EUMANS Congress to be held in Poland and to invest the maximum level of resources in the organisation of the Congress ensuring the larger in person participation possible.
The Assembly of EUMANS gives a mandate to the co-presidents and the Board to collaborate with all the members, activists and partners to create a transparent and participatory process to design European Citizens Initiatives that can collectively design a Paneuropean Government Program proposed to the EU. The process should have its culmination in the Congress in Poland.
The Assembly indicates the document "Europeans 4 ECOLOGY & FREEDOM - A Paneuropean Government Program proposed to the EU through European Citizens Initiatives" as an annex to be used in designing this participatory process.
Everybody, individuals and organizations, will be free to take part in the overall campaign or support only some of these initiatives, and eventually use them for campaigning in the next European Elections. Eumans will propose them also to political parties, and will consider presenting a list and / or supporting other lists for 2024 European elections, in case they concretely pursue these proposals.
ANNEX: "Europeans 4 ECOLOGY & FREEDOM"
A Paneuropean Government Program proposed to the EU through European Citizens Initiatives
The European Union is still the political body best suited to tackle some of the most urgent issues in our societies, where nation states are failing to deliver. Next EU Parliament (2024 - 2029) should become the main force to address climate change, civil and social rights and freedoms, democracy itself. European elections, usually hijacked by national politics, should become the occasion for a debate on a pan-european government proposal, mainly to be presented through the institutional mechanism of European Citizens’ Initiative.
The proposals should be prepared through a consultation process (to be ended in spring 2023 at the II Eumans congress in Gdansk, Poland).
Here are some ideas that could be at the heart of new European Citizens' Initiatives or other types of pan-European campaigns
- Climate change: Phasing out fossil fuels through carbon pricing and social compensation
- stopping EU mandatory criminalization of cannabis
- inserting safe abortion in the european Charter of fundamental human rights
- inserting legal euthanasia in the european Charter of fundamental human rights
- creating a EU mechanism for asylum seekers and migrants
- establishing universal basic services and income in the EU
- Other issues: science and innovation (genome editing and stem cell research, psychedelics), democracy (EU platform for participation / digital citizenship/ voters without borders), gender/equality and other proposals coming from the Conference on the future of Europe
Each proposal will contain the request of a European citizens assembly by sortition on each issue and as a permanent EU institution.
Everybody, individuals and organisations, will be free to take part in the overall campaign or support only some of these initiatives, and eventually use them for campaigning in the next european elections. Eumans will propose them also to political parties, and will consider presenting a list and / or supporting other lists for 2024 European elections, in case they concretely pursue these proposals
INVITES TO THE EUMANS MEMBERS ASSEMBLY BY THE CO-PRESIDENTS MARCO CAPPATO AND VIRGINIA FIUME
On the 15th of December from 6.00 PM to 9 PM CET we will hold the quarterly Assembly of EUMANS Members. We will have with us the professional interpreters to ensure participation in both listening and speaking in Italian and English.
The EUMANS Membership for 2022 expired on the 31st of October. If you haven’t done it yet, remember to subscribe your membership for 2023, in order to have full rights of vote and speaking, starting from this Assembly: join here!
Thanks to your support and the support of many people that decided to donate for our initiative, this year had been quite extraordinary for our paneuropean movement.
During the Assembly we will have the opportunity to discuss the foundational document to prepare the next EUMANS Congress, which we will hold in Poland in March 2023 (we are aiming to have the exact dates before the Winter Break!).
The goal is ambitious: to create a people’s program for the European Union through the activation of European Citizens Initiatives and to pave the way for a transnational and civic boost for the European Elections in 2024. You can read a preparatory document here.
This agenda for the Assembly is rooted in significant initiatives we carried on also with your support in the past year.
Thanks to the EUMANS Members, activists, partners we were able to achieve some very important results these year:
- The “Open Congress of citizens for Sustainable Peace, Democracy and Freedom” in Warsaw in 2022.
- The mobilization in over 14 cities for the Appeal Eukraine Now to advocate for the immediate accession to Ukraine to the European Union.
- The launch in Italy of the Public Platform for Democratic Participation and the nonviolent initiatives for the recognition of the digital signature in Italy for Electoral List. We also brought this demands for a more accessible democratic space with the event organised in Brussels on the 6th of December “Digital Democracy is a Human Right” which saw more than 80 people gathering to design together the ideal democratic ecosystem for the European Union.
- The follow-up to the Conference on the Future of Europe and the multiple actions, in Italy and in Europe for the creation of a permanent mechanism of citizens Assemblies - included the first self-organised citizens Assembly on end of life decisions and palliative care with the funding of the European Union. We followed the Conference on the Future of Europe with the coalition citizens take over Europe (even before it started in march 2020 in the middle of the pandemic) until the feedback event on the 2nd of December. With the same spirit we self-organised the first pan-European assembly to start and design a European Citizens Initiative on End of Life Decisions and palliative care.
- The Draft texts on the potential European Citizens Initiative on Carbon Pricing, Cannabis Legalisation and Right to Die (under revision after the Assembly in Brussels) through collaborative work.
A lot has been done, a lot needs to be done - in particular in terms of economical and digital and relational resources - in any case, we hope you to have with us as a member and supporter and to take active part in the Assembly on the 15th of December.
Thank you for being with us!
Marco Cappato and Virginia Fiume - Co-presidents of EUMANS